Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Cairns residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Cairns, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Cairns are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Cairns - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,262||1.6||2.6||1,176||1.6||2.8||+86|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||863||1.1||1.2||666||0.9||1.1||+197|
|Accommodation and Food Services||7,908||9.9||7.2||7,268||10.0||7.3||+640|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||4,487||5.6||4.7||4,590||6.3||5.1||-103|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||454||0.6||1.0||585||0.8||1.2||-131|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,038||1.3||2.6||1,087||1.5||2.5||-49|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,351||1.7||1.8||1,458||2.0||2.0||-107|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||3,745||4.7||6.7||3,387||4.7||6.3||+358|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,888||3.6||3.4||3,098||4.3||3.5||-210|
|Public Administration and Safety||5,852||7.3||6.2||5,794||8.0||6.6||+58|
|Education and Training||7,056||8.9||8.8||6,500||9.0||9.0||+556|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||14,389||18.1||15.4||10,446||14.4||13.0||+3,943|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,249||1.6||1.5||1,436||2.0||1.6||-187|
|Industry not classified||2,981||3.7||4.5||2,828||3.9||4.3||+153|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Cairns in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (14,389 people or 18.1%)
- Accommodation and Food Services (7,908 people or 9.9%)
- Retail Trade (7,706 people or 9.7%)
In combination these three industries employed 30,003 people in total or 37.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 15.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 7.2% in Accommodation and Food Services and 9.3% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (9.9% compared to 7.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (18.1% compared to 15.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (3.6% compared to 5.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.7% compared to 6.7%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in Cairns were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+3,943 resident workforce)
- Construction (+1,004 resident workforce)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+640 resident workforce)
- Other Services (+575 resident workforce)