In Cairns, Construction had the highest local sales, generating $2,496 million in 2018/19.
Local sales by industry measures the output of local industries that is sold locally. This includes sales to local consumers, businesses and other organisations.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, local sales data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Local sales by industry sector|
|Cairns - Constant prices||2018/19||2012/13||Change|
|Industry||$m||%||Queensland||$m||%||Queensland||2012/13 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||269.4||2.0||2.1||210.5||1.8||1.9||+59.0|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||664.2||4.9||4.3||465.0||4.0||3.9||+199.2|
|Accommodation and Food Services||209.3||1.5||2.8||187.5||1.6||2.4||+21.8|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||671.3||5.0||4.8||675.0||5.8||5.1||-3.7|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||220.1||1.6||2.3||153.6||1.3||1.7||+66.5|
|Financial and Insurance Services||660.2||4.9||6.2||521.7||4.5||5.5||+138.5|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||2,155.0||15.9||14.0||1,314.6||11.3||11.1||+840.3|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||765.1||5.7||7.0||669.6||5.8||5.9||+95.5|
|Administrative and Support Services||523.2||3.9||3.6||509.1||4.4||3.2||+14.2|
|Public Administration and Safety||850.7||6.3||4.1||819.8||7.1||4.0||+30.9|
|Education and Training||544.9||4.0||3.7||469.2||4.0||3.2||+75.7|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,086.6||8.0||6.6||732.7||6.3||4.3||+353.9|
|Arts and Recreation Services||214.8||1.6||0.9||201.6||1.7||0.8||+13.2|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id the population experts NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. .id the population experts. Data are based on a 2016-17 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn more
An analysis of the local sales by industry sectors in Cairns in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Construction ($2,496million or 18.5%)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services ($2,155million or 15.9%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance ($1,087million or 8.0%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $5,738 million in total or 42.5% of the total local sales by total industry in the Cairns.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in Queensland accounted for 20.2% in Construction; 14.0% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services and 6.6% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between local sales by industries of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local sales by Public Administration and Safety (6.3% compared to 4.1%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (15.9% compared to 14.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Construction (18.5% compared to 20.2%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Health Care and Social Assistance (8.0% compared to 6.6%)
The total local sales by industry in Cairns $increased by 1,927 million between 2012/13 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the local sales by industries between 2012/13 and 2018/19 in Cairns were for:
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (+$840 million)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+$354 million)
- Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services (+$199 million)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+$139 million)