There are more resident workers (Construction) Technicians and Trades Workers in Cairns than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Cairns's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||3,009||51.1||47.2||3,140||51.3||47.0||-131|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||9||0.2||0.2||11||0.2||0.2||-2|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||601||10.2||10.5||705||11.5||11.4||-104|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||486||8.2||8.6||517||8.4||9.7||-31|
|Inadequately described or not stated||50||0.8||0.9||52||0.8||0.9||-2|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (3,009 people or 51.1%)
- Labourers (821 people or 13.9%)
- Managers (687 people or 11.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 4,517 people in total or 76.6% of the resident workers (Construction).
In comparison, Queensland employed 47.2% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 16.0% in Labourers and 11.6% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Construction) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (51.1% compared to 47.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) employed as Labourers (13.9% compared to 16.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) employed as Professionals (2.3% compared to 3.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (8.2% compared to 8.6%)
The number of resident workers (Construction) in Cairns decreased by 227 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Cairns were those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-131 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-104 persons)
- Sales Workers (+40 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-31 persons)