Resident workers - Occupations of employment
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Cairns's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||179||10.4||10.0||254||11.5||9.6||-75|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||11||0.6||0.5||4||0.2||0.3||+7|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||285||16.6||16.8||336||15.2||17.6||-51|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||320||18.7||15.5||401||18.2||15.4||-81|
|Inadequately described or not stated||14||0.8||0.9||24||1.1||1.2||-10|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Sales Workers (423 people or 24.7%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (320 people or 18.7%)
- Managers (293 people or 17.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,036 people in total or 60.4% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade).
In comparison, Queensland employed 19.2% in Sales Workers; 15.5% in Machinery Operators And Drivers and 19.0% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) employed as Professionals (4.6% compared to 10.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) employed as Sales Workers (24.7% compared to 19.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (18.7% compared to 15.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) employed as Managers (17.1% compared to 19.0%)
The number of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Cairns decreased by 495 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Cairns were those employed as:
- Managers (-105 persons)
- Sales Workers (-105 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-81 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-75 persons)