Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Wholesale Trade) sales workers in Cairns than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Cairns's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Mining%||Number||%||Mining%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||179||10.4||33.5||254||11.5||27.7||-75||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||11||0.6||1.2||4||0.2||1.4||+7||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||285||16.6||5.1||336||15.2||7.0||-51||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||320||18.7||39.2||401||18.2||36.6||-81||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||14||0.8||1.4||24||1.1||1.4||-10||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Sales Workers (423 people or 24.7%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (320 people or 18.7%)
- Managers (293 people or 17.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,036 people in total or 60.4% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade).
In comparison, Mining employed 0.5% in Sales Workers; 39.2% in Machinery Operators And Drivers; and 6.4% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of Cairns and Mining were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) employed as Sales Workers (24.7% compared to 0.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (16.6% compared to 5.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (10.4% compared to 33.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (18.7% compared to 39.2%)
The number of people in the resident workers (Wholesale Trade)] in Cairns decreased by 495 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) between 2011 and 2016 in Cairns were for those employed as:
- Managers (-105 people)
- Sales Workers (-105 people)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-81 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-75 people)