Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Retail Trade) sales workers in Cairns than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Cairns's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Mining%||Number||%||Mining%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||465||6.1||33.5||510||6.2||27.7||-45||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||72||0.9||1.2||70||0.9||1.4||+2||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||417||5.4||5.1||560||6.8||7.0||-143||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||240||3.1||39.2||246||3.0||36.6||-6||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||40||0.5||1.4||59||0.7||1.4||-19||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers (Retail Trade) in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Sales Workers (4,448 people or 57.9%)
- Managers (1,177 people or 15.3%)
- Labourers (598 people or 7.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 6,223 people in total or 81.1% of the resident workers (Retail Trade).
In comparison, Mining employed 0.5% in Sales Workers; 6.4% in Managers; and 4.1% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Retail Trade) of Cairns and Mining were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Sales Workers (57.9% compared to 0.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Managers (15.3% compared to 6.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (3.1% compared to 39.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (6.1% compared to 33.5%)
The number of people in the resident workers (Retail Trade)] in Cairns decreased by 528 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers (Retail Trade) between 2011 and 2016 in Cairns were for those employed as:
- Managers (-235 people)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-143 people)
- Sales Workers (-57 people)