Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Financial and Insurance Services) clerical and administrative workers in Cairns than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Cairns's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Mining%||Number||%||Mining%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||15||1.4||33.5||11||0.9||27.7||+4||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4||0.4||1.2||7||0.6||1.4||-3||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||534||49.8||5.1||632||52.6||7.0||-98||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3||0.3||39.2||4||0.3||36.6||-1||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||19||1.8||1.4||16||1.3||1.4||+3||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers (Financial and Insurance Services) in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (534 people or 49.8%)
- Professionals (316 people or 29.5%)
- Managers (137 people or 12.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 987 people in total or 92.1% of the resident workers (Financial and Insurance Services).
In comparison, Mining employed 5.1% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; 8.6% in Professionals; and 6.4% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Financial and Insurance Services) of Cairns and Mining were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Financial and Insurance Services) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (49.8% compared to 5.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Financial and Insurance Services) employed as Professionals (29.5% compared to 8.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Financial and Insurance Services) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (0.3% compared to 39.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Financial and Insurance Services) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (1.4% compared to 33.5%)
The number of people in the resident workers (Financial and Insurance Services)] in Cairns decreased by 130 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers (Financial and Insurance Services) between 2011 and 2016 in Cairns was for those employed as:
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-98 people)