Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) clerical and administrative workers in Cairns than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Cairns's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||633||10.9||8.0||697||12.1||7.6||-64||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,248||21.5||22.5||1,243||21.6||21.4||+5||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,579||27.2||26.7||1,579||27.4||27.8||0||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||115||2.0||3.2||117||2.0||3.3||-2||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||117||2.0||1.7||156||2.7||2.8||-39||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (1,579 people or 27.2%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (1,248 people or 21.5%)
- Professionals (1,154 people or 19.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 3,981 people in total or 68.6% of the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety).
In comparison, Queensland employed 26.7% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; 22.5% in Community and Personal Service Workers; and 21.7% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (10.9% compared to 8.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) employed as Professionals (19.9% compared to 21.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (2.0% compared to 3.2%)
The number of people in the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety)] in Cairns increased by 36 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) between 2011 and 2016 in Cairns were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+148 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-64 people)