Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Other Services) technicians and trades workers in Cairns than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Cairns's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Mining%||Number||%||Mining%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,347||44.4||33.5||1,406||49.2||27.7||-59||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||437||14.4||1.2||312||10.9||1.4||+125||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||337||11.1||5.1||335||11.7||7.0||+2||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||48||1.6||39.2||53||1.9||36.6||-5||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||20||0.7||1.4||20||0.7||1.4||0||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers (Other Services) in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,347 people or 44.4%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (437 people or 14.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (337 people or 11.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,121 people in total or 69.9% of the resident workers (Other Services).
In comparison, Mining employed 33.5% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 1.2% in Community and Personal Service Workers; and 5.1% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Other Services) of Cairns and Mining were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Other Services) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (14.4% compared to 1.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Other Services) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (44.4% compared to 33.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Other Services) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (11.1% compared to 5.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Other Services) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (1.6% compared to 39.2%)
The number of people in the resident workers (Other Services)] in Cairns increased by 176 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers (Other Services) between 2011 and 2016 in Cairns were for those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+125 people)
- Professionals (+109 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-59 people)