69.7% of the resident workers (Other Services) in Cairns have qualifications, compared to 70.4% for Queensland.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for Cairns's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Cairns - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||409||13.4||12.3||--||0||9.7||--|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||320||10.5||11.5||--||0||9.3||--|
|Certificate I and II Level||34||1.1||1.2||--||0||1.2||--|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,299||42.7||43.5||--||0||43.5||--|
|Certificate Level, nfd||59||1.9||1.9||--||0||1.5||--|
|Inadequately described or not stated||94||3.1||2.4||--||0||3.1||--|
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers (Other Services) in Cairns in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion of resident holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of males with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 69.7% of the resident workers (Other Services) held educational qualifications, and 27.2% had no qualifications, compared with 70.4% and 27.2% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers (Other Services) of Cairns and (Queensland) were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Other Services) with Bachelor or Higher degree (13.4% compared to 12.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Other Services) with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (10.5% compared to 11.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Other Services) with Certificate III & IV Level (42.7% compared to 43.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers (Other Services) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were: