Resident workers - Qualifications
71.8% of the female resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) in Cairns have qualifications, compared to 71.4% for Queensland.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for Cairns's female resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the female resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Cairns - Females||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||898||36.1||38.6||735||29.9||34.1||+163||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||404||16.2||15.6||364||14.8||13.3||+40||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||42||1.7||1.5||54||2.2||1.9||-12||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||388||15.6||13.8||374||15.2||12.8||+14||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||54||2.2||2.0||58||2.4||2.1||-4||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||49||2.0||1.7||75||3.0||2.6||-26||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the female resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) in Cairns in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a similar proportion of females holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of females with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 71.8% of the female resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) held educational qualifications, and 26.2% had no qualifications, compared with 71.4% and 26.8% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between qualifications held by the female resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of female resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) with Certificate III & IV Levels (15.6% compared to 13.8%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) with Bachelor or Higher degrees (36.1% compared to 38.6%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the female resident workers (Public Administration and Safety) in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+163 females )
- No qualifications (-149 females )