The Age Structure of an industry's local workers is a key component to understanding the role and function of that industry in Cairns. It is an indicator of the age of the industry and how long it has been established in the area, as well as the possible challenges in expanding that industry in the future.
For example an area with young local workers may be more mobile and likely to change jobs/industries in the future while an industry with an older local workers may face succession planning issues and challenges in attracting new staff.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers age structure|
|Cairns Regional Council - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Ten year age groups (years)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2016 - 2021|
|15 to 24 years||10,681||14.4||15.6||9,549||14.2||15.6||+1,132|
|25 to 34 years||14,774||19.9||21.6||13,658||20.2||21.8||+1,116|
|35 to 44 years||15,995||21.5||21.8||15,393||22.8||21.9||+602|
|45 to 54 years||16,693||22.4||21.0||15,402||22.8||21.8||+1,291|
|55 to 64 years||12,416||16.7||15.3||10,559||15.7||14.8||+1,857|
|65 years and over||3,842||5.2||4.7||2,894||4.3||4.0||+948|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the age structure of the workforce in Cairns in 2021compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people in the younger age groups (15 to 44 years) and a higher proportion of people in the older age groups (45 years and over).
Overall, 55.7% of the workforce was aged under 45 years, compared to 59.0% for Queensland. 44.3% were aged 45 years and over, compared to 41.0% for Queensland.
The major differences between the age structure of the workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers aged 15 to 24 years (14.4% compared to 15.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers aged 25 to 34 years (19.9% compared to 21.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers aged 45 to 54 years (22.4% compared to 21.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers aged 55 to 64 years (16.7% compared to 15.3%)
The largest changes in the age structure of the workforce in Cairns between 2016 and 2021 were:
- 55 to 64 years (+1,857 local workers)
- 45 to 54 years (+1,291 local workers)
- 15 to 24 years (+1,132 local workers)
- 25 to 34 years (+1,116 local workers)