Field of Qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to the current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the workforce;
- The type of qualification required to enter an industry;
- The availability of jobs related to fields of qualification in Cairns;
- The types of occupations which are available in an area or industry.
The fields of qualification held by local workers in a particular industry are likely to show the type of skills required in that industry. Large numbers of a particular field of qualification in an industry may indicate that it is a pre-requisite for that industry. The presence of fields of qualification outside the main range of qualifications used in that industry may indicate that the industry values employees of a broad educational background, or that people haven't been able to find employment in their chosen field.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
- Excel full
- Word full
|Local workers field of qualification - Summary|
|Cairns - Wholesale Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||18||1.11||1.37||22||1.02||1.17||-4|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||260||16.13||16.26||327||15.23||14.36||-67|
|Architecture and Building||54||3.35||2.32||64||2.98||2.06||-10|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||31||1.92||1.92||43||2.00||1.82||-12|
|Management and Commerce||210||13.03||17.12||209||9.73||13.21||+1|
|Society and Culture||45||2.79||3.03||40||1.86||2.30||+5|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||85||5.27||3.24||130||6.05||3.59||-45|
|Mixed Field Programmes||--||0||0.09||--||0||0.05||--|
|Not stated or inadequately described||34||2.11||2.09||72||3.35||2.92||-38|
Analysis of the fields of qualifications of the Wholesale Trade shows that the three largest fields of qualification were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (260 people or 16.1%)
- Management and Commerce (210 people or 13.0%)
- Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (85 people or 5.3%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 555 people in total or34.4% of Wholesale Trade.
In comparison, Queensland employed 16.3% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 17.1% in Management and Commerce and 3.2% in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services.
The major differences between the fields of qualifications of the Wholesale Trade workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Management and Commerce (13.0% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (5.3% compared to 3.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Creative Arts (0.7% compared to 1.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Architecture and Building (3.4% compared to 2.3%)
The largest changes in fields of qualifications of the Wholesale Trade workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Society and Culture (+5.00 local workers)
- Management and Commerce (+1.00 local workers)
- Creative Arts (-1.00 local workers)
- Education (-4.00 local workers)