Local workers - Field of qualification - Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services
Engineering and Related Technologies is the most common qualification for Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services workers in Cairns.
Field of Qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to the current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the workforce;
- The type of qualification required to enter an industry;
- The availability of jobs related to fields of qualification in Cairns;
- The types of occupations which are available in an area or industry.
The fields of qualification held by local workers in a particular industry are likely to show the type of skills required in that industry. Large numbers of a particular field of qualification in an industry may indicate that it is a pre-requisite for that industry. The presence of fields of qualification outside the main range of qualifications used in that industry may indicate that the industry values employees of a broad educational background, or that people haven't been able to find employment in their chosen field.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers field of qualification - Summary|
|Cairns - Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||6||0.97||2.07||4||0.63||1.64||+2|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||308||49.91||37.54||276||43.80||36.09||+32|
|Architecture and Building||18||2.91||4.37||21||3.33||3.69||-3|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||11||1.78||1.81||12||1.90||1.67||-1|
|Management and Commerce||82||13.29||16.15||76||12.06||15.35||+6|
|Society and Culture||11||1.78||2.71||12||1.90||2.71||-1|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||12||1.94||1.38||6||0.95||1.32||+6|
|Mixed Field Programmes||--||0||0.06||--||0||0.02||--|
|Not stated or inadequately described||12||1.94||2.28||18||2.85||2.69||-6|
Analysis of the fields of qualifications of the Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services shows that the three largest fields of qualification were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (308 people or 49.9%)
- Management and Commerce (82 people or 13.3%)
- Architecture and Building (18 people or 2.9%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 408 people in total or66.1% of Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services.
In comparison, Queensland employed 37.5% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 16.2% in Management and Commerce and 4.4% in Architecture and Building.
The major differences between the fields of qualifications of the Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Engineering and Related Technologies (49.9% compared to 37.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Management and Commerce (13.3% compared to 16.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Architecture and Building (2.9% compared to 4.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Natural and Physical Sciences (1.0% compared to 2.1%)
The largest changes in fields of qualifications of the Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+32.00 local workers)
- Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (+6.00 local workers)
- Management and Commerce (+6.00 local workers)
- Health (+4.00 local workers)