Local workers - Field of qualification - Accommodation and Food Services
Food, Hospitality and Personal Services is the most common qualification for Accommodation and Food Services workers in Cairns.
Field of Qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to the current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the workforce;
- The type of qualification required to enter an industry;
- The availability of jobs related to fields of qualification in Cairns;
- The types of occupations which are available in an area or industry.
The fields of qualification held by local workers in a particular industry are likely to show the type of skills required in that industry. Large numbers of a particular field of qualification in an industry may indicate that it is a pre-requisite for that industry. The presence of fields of qualification outside the main range of qualifications used in that industry may indicate that the industry values employees of a broad educational background, or that people haven't been able to find employment in their chosen field.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers field of qualification - Summary|
|Cairns - Accommodation and Food Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||83||1.16||0.81||51||0.77||0.65||+32|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||260||3.64||2.94||221||3.37||2.64||+39|
|Architecture and Building||93||1.30||1.08||92||1.40||1.03||+1|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||44||0.61||0.70||49||0.74||0.71||-5|
|Management and Commerce||899||12.59||12.55||715||10.92||10.40||+184|
|Society and Culture||360||5.04||4.63||226||3.45||3.31||+134|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,158||16.22||13.39||969||14.80||12.24||+189|
|Mixed Field Programmes||14||0.19||0.19||12||0.18||0.12||+2|
|Not stated or inadequately described||187||2.62||2.11||269||4.10||3.29||-82|
Analysis of the fields of qualifications of the Accommodation and Food Services shows that the three largest fields of qualification were:
- Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (1,158 people or 16.2%)
- Management and Commerce (899 people or 12.6%)
- Society and Culture (360 people or 5.0%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 2,417 people in total or33.9% of Accommodation and Food Services.
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.4% in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services; 12.6% in Management and Commerce and 4.6% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the fields of qualifications of the Accommodation and Food Services workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (16.2% compared to 13.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Engineering and Related Technologies (3.6% compared to 2.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Creative Arts (1.7% compared to 2.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Not stated or inadequately described (2.6% compared to 2.1%)
The largest changes in fields of qualifications of the Accommodation and Food Services workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (+189.00 local workers)
- Management and Commerce (+184.00 local workers)
- Society and Culture (+134.00 local workers)
- Health (+45.00 local workers)