Local workers - Field of qualification - Professional, Scientific and Technical Services
Within Cairns, there are more Professional, Scientific and Technical Services with Management and Commerce qualifications than any other field of qualification.
Field of Qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to the current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the workforce;
- The type of qualification required to enter an industry;
- The availability of jobs related to fields of qualification in Cairns;
- The types of occupations which are available in an area or industry.
The fields of qualification held by local workers in a particular industry are likely to show the type of skills required in that industry. Large numbers of a particular field of qualification in an industry may indicate that it is a pre-requisite for that industry. The presence of fields of qualification outside the main range of qualifications used in that industry may indicate that the industry values employees of a broad educational background, or that people haven't been able to find employment in their chosen field.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, Cairns in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers field of qualification - Summary|
|Cairns - Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland %||Number||%||Queensland %||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||98||3.0||3.5||30000||132||3.9||P||3.9||-34|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||407||12.5||13.5||50000||421||12.5||P||15.3||-14|
|Architecture and Building||176||5.4||5.5||60000||190||5.7||P||5.1||-14|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||47||1.4||1.4||70000||65||1.9||P||1.7||-18|
|Management and Commerce||910||27.8||24.4||91000||847||25.2||P||21.8||+63|
|Society and Culture||430||13.2||11.4||92000||414||12.3||P||10.2||+16|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||38||1.2||1.2||94000||43||1.3||P||1.1||-5|
|Mixed Field Programmes||--||--||0.0||95000||--||--||P||0.0||--|
|Not stated or inadequately described||55||1.7||1.5||96000||75||2.2||P||1.7||-20|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the fields of qualifications of the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services shows that the three largest fields of qualification were:
- Management and Commerce (910 people or 27.8%)
- Society and Culture (430 people or 13.2%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (407 people or 12.5%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 1,747 people in total or 53.4% of the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services .
In comparison, Queensland employed 24.4% in Management and Commerce; 11.4% in Society and Culture; and 13.5% in Engineering and Related Technologies.
The major differences between the fields of qualifications of the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Management and Commerce (27.8% compared to 24.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Society and Culture (13.2% compared to 11.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Information Technology (4.0% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers qualified in the field of Engineering and Related Technologies (12.5% compared to 13.5%)
The largest changes in fields of qualifications of the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Management and Commerce (+63 local workers)
- Information Technology (+41 local workers)
- Natural and Physical Sciences (-34 local workers)
- Health (+31 local workers)