36.1% of All industries local workers in Cairns are employed part-time and 62.1% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Cairns across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Cairns - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,665||9.9||11.0||6,101||9.5||10.5||+564|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,094||9.0||9.4||5,495||8.5||8.9||+599|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,310||13.8||12.0||7,620||11.8||10.9||+1,690|
|35 hours - 39 hours||14,616||21.7||19.3||13,217||20.6||18.3||+1,399|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,346||9.4||9.4||6,520||10.1||10.6||-174|
|49 hours or more||9,448||14.0||16.4||10,377||16.1||18.5||-929|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in Cairns in 2016 compared to Queensland within Cairns shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.1% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 62.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.9% and 62.3% respectively for Queensland within Cairns.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (9.9% compared to 11.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 25 hours - 34 hours (13.8% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (21.7% compared to 19.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (14.0% compared to 16.4%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,690 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,399 local workers)
- 49 hours or more (-929 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+599 local workers)