36.1% of All industries local workers in Cairns are employed part-time and 62.1% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Cairns across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Cairns - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Professional, Scientific and Technical Services%||Number||%||Professional, Scientific and Technical Services%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,665||9.9||9.1||6,101||9.5||8.3||+564|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,094||9.0||7.9||5,495||8.5||7.9||+599|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,310||13.8||11.1||7,620||11.8||10.3||+1,690|
|35 hours - 39 hours||14,616||21.7||20.4||13,217||20.6||20.8||+1,399|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,346||9.4||10.6||6,520||10.1||11.4||-174|
|49 hours or more||9,448||14.0||17.1||10,377||16.1||18.9||-929|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in Cairns in 2016 compared to the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce within Cairns shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.1% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 62.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 30.7% and 68.7% respectively for the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce within Cairns.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in Cairns and the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 25 hours - 34 hours (13.8% compared to 11.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (21.7% compared to 20.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (17.1% compared to 20.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (14.0% compared to 17.1%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,690 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,399 local workers)
- 49 hours or more (-929 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+599 local workers)