Local workers - Hours worked - Wholesale Trade
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Cairns across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Cairns - Wholesale Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||66||4.1||5.2||98||4.6||5.3||-32|
|16 hours - 24 hours||72||4.5||5.2||105||4.9||5.4||-33|
|25 hours - 34 hours||146||9.0||7.2||148||6.9||7.1||-2|
|35 hours - 39 hours||428||26.5||23.8||524||24.6||20.4||-96|
|41 hours - 48 hours||226||14.0||13.7||300||14.1||14.3||-74|
|49 hours or more||284||17.6||18.8||439||20.6||21.5||-155|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Wholesale Trade workforce in Cairns in 2016 compared to Queensland within Cairns shows that there was a lower proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 19.6% of the Wholesale Trade workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 79.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 19.8% and 79.5% respectively for Queensland within Cairns.
The major differences between the hours worked by the Wholesale Trade workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.0% compared to 7.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (26.5% compared to 23.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (21.6% compared to 23.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (17.6% compared to 18.8%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the Wholesale Trade workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-155 local workers)
- 40 hours (-96 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-96 local workers)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-74 local workers)