Local workers - Hours worked - Other Services
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Cairns across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Cairns - Other Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||298||10.1||12.7||--||0||11.2||--|
|16 hours - 24 hours||277||9.4||9.8||--||0||9.2||--|
|25 hours - 34 hours||344||11.7||12.1||--||0||10.8||--|
|35 hours - 39 hours||657||22.3||19.9||--||0||18.5||--|
|41 hours - 48 hours||291||9.9||9.6||--||0||10.8||--|
|49 hours or more||443||15.0||14.6||--||0||17.4||--|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Other Services workforce in Cairns in 2016 compared to Queensland within Cairns shows that there was a lower proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.3% of the Other Services workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 65.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.9% respectively for Queensland within Cairns.
The major differences between the hours worked by the Other Services workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.1% compared to 12.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (22.3% compared to 19.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (18.4% compared to 17.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (15.0% compared to 14.6%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the Other Services workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were: