Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Cairns - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||15,718||23.3||25.1||12,687||19.7||21.5||+3,031|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||8,135||12.1||10.9||6,666||10.4||9.3||+1,469|
|Certificate I and II Level||1,031||1.5||1.3||1,036||1.6||1.5||-5|
|Certificate III & IV Level||16,081||23.8||23.0||14,678||22.8||21.6||+1,403|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,448||2.1||2.0||1,138||1.8||1.7||+310|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,151||3.2||2.7||2,967||4.6||3.8||-816|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Cairns in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a similar proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 62.9% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 33.9% had no qualifications, compared with 62.3% and 35.0% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (23.3% compared to 25.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.1% compared to 10.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (33.9% compared to 35.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (23.8% compared to 23.0%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3,031 local workers)
- No qualification (-2,240 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,469 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+1,403 local workers)