In Cairns, the Wholesale Trade workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to Queensland.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Cairns - Wholesale Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||122||7.6||14.8||110||5.2||11.2||+12|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||124||7.7||9.2||133||6.2||7.8||-9|
|Certificate I and II Level||24||1.5||1.6||43||2.0||1.6||-19|
|Certificate III & IV Level||475||29.4||24.8||576||27.0||21.9||-101|
|Certificate Level, nfd||28||1.7||2.2||31||1.5||1.6||-3|
|Inadequately described or not stated||33||2.0||2.2||83||3.9||3.6||-50|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Cairns in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 47.9% of the workers (Wholesale Trade) who held educational qualifications, and 50.0% had no qualifications, compared with 52.5% and 45.2% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce (Wholesale Trade) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Wholesale Trade) with Bachelor or Higher degree (7.6% compared to 14.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Wholesale Trade) with No qualification (50.0% compared to 45.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Wholesale Trade) with Certificate III & IV Level (29.4% compared to 24.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Wholesale Trade) with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (7.7% compared to 9.2%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the Wholesale Trade workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-348 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (-101 local workers)
- Certificate I and II Level (-19 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+12 local workers)