Local workers - Qualifications - Other Services
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Cairns - Other Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||397||13.5||12.3||234||8.5||9.7||+163|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||313||10.6||11.5||241||8.8||9.3||+72|
|Certificate I and II Level||38||1.3||1.2||35||1.3||1.2||+3|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,240||42.1||43.5||1,244||45.2||43.5||-4|
|Certificate Level, nfd||54||1.8||1.9||33||1.2||1.5||+21|
|Inadequately described or not stated||91||3.1||2.4||95||3.5||3.1||-4|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Cairns in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a similar proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 69.3% of the workers (Other Services) who held educational qualifications, and 27.6% had no qualifications, compared with 70.4% and 27.2% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce (Other Services) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Other Services) with Certificate III & IV Level (42.1% compared to 43.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Other Services) with Bachelor or Higher degree (13.5% compared to 12.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Other Services) with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (10.6% compared to 11.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Other Services) with Inadequately described or not stated (3.1% compared to 2.4%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the Other Services workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+163 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+72 local workers)
- No qualification (-57 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+21 local workers)