In Cairns, the Manufacturing workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to Queensland.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Cairns - Manufacturing||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||184||7.0||11.5||158||4.7||8.9||+26|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||225||8.6||7.9||222||6.7||6.2||+3|
|Certificate I and II Level||26||1.0||1.3||32||1.0||1.2||-6|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,198||45.6||33.5||1,446||43.4||32.2||-248|
|Certificate Level, nfd||42||1.6||1.8||40||1.2||1.3||+2|
|Inadequately described or not stated||85||3.2||2.4||137||4.1||3.9||-52|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Cairns in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 63.7% of the workers (Manufacturing) who held educational qualifications, and 33.1% had no qualifications, compared with 56.0% and 41.6% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce (Manufacturing) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers (Manufacturing) with Certificate III & IV Level (45.6% compared to 33.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Manufacturing) with No qualification (33.1% compared to 41.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Manufacturing) with Bachelor or Higher degree (7.0% compared to 11.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Manufacturing) with Inadequately described or not stated (3.2% compared to 2.4%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the Manufacturing workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-430 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (-248 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+26 local workers)
- Certificate I and II Level (-6 local workers)