Local workers - Qualifications - Accommodation and Food Services
In Cairns, the Accommodation and Food Services workforce has a similar proportion with University qualifications compared to Queensland.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Cairns - Accommodation and Food Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||828||11.6||11.8||560||8.6||8.7||+268|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||803||11.2||9.1||532||8.1||7.2||+271|
|Certificate I and II Level||148||2.1||2.2||161||2.5||2.5||-13|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,375||19.3||17.5||1,218||18.6||15.8||+157|
|Certificate Level, nfd||144||2.0||1.7||113||1.7||1.5||+31|
|Inadequately described or not stated||238||3.3||2.5||360||5.5||4.0||-122|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Cairns in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 46.2% of the workers (Accommodation and Food Services) who held educational qualifications, and 50.5% had no qualifications, compared with 42.3% and 55.2% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce (Accommodation and Food Services) of Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Accommodation and Food Services) with No qualification (50.5% compared to 55.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Accommodation and Food Services) with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.2% compared to 9.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Accommodation and Food Services) with Certificate III & IV Level (19.3% compared to 17.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Accommodation and Food Services) with Inadequately described or not stated (3.3% compared to 2.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the Accommodation and Food Services workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+271 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+268 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+157 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+31 local workers)