Local workers - Qualifications - Other Services
In Cairns, the Other Services workforce has a higher proportion with tertiary qualifications compared to Queensland.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, Cairns in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers qualifications|
|Cairns - Other Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland %||Number||%||Queensland %||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||397||13.5||12.3||234||8.5||9.7||+163||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||313||10.6||11.5||241||8.8||9.3||+72||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||38||1.3||1.2||35||1.3||1.2||+3||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,240||42.1||43.5||1,244||45.2||43.5||-4||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||54||1.8||1.9||33||1.2||1.5||+21||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||91||3.1||2.4||95||3.5||3.1||-4||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the Other Services in Cairns in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a similar proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), as well as a similar proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 27.2% of the Other Services held educational qualifications, and 27.6% had no qualifications, compared with 26.9% and 27.2% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the Other Services workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (13.5% compared to 12.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualifications (27.6% compared to 27.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Levels (42.1% compared to 43.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (10.6% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the Other Services workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+163 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+72 local workers)
- No qualifications (-57 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfds (+21 local workers)