In Cairns (Wholesale Trade), 24.3% of workers were Sales Workers, compared to 19.2% in Queensland.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Cairns will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Cairns;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Cairns - Wholesale Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||170||10.5||10.0||238||11.2||9.6||-68|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6||0.4||0.5||4||0.2||0.3||+2|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||274||17.0||16.9||332||15.6||17.7||-58|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||311||19.3||15.6||395||18.6||15.4||-84|
|Inadequately described or not stated||14||0.9||0.9||19||0.9||1.2||-5|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the Wholesale Trade workforce in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Sales Workers (393 local workers or 24.3%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (311 local workers or 19.3%)
- Managers (274 local workers or 17.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 978 people in total or 60.5% of the Wholesale Trade local workers.
In comparison, Queensland employed 19.2% as Sales Workers; 15.6% as Machinery Operators And Drivers and 18.9% as Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the Wholesale Trade workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers(Wholesale Trade) employed as Professionals (4.4% compared to 10.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers(Wholesale Trade) employed as Sales Workers (24.3% compared to 19.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers(Wholesale Trade) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (19.3% compared to 15.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers(Wholesale Trade) employed as Managers (17.0% compared to 18.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the Wholesale Trade workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Managers (-120 local workers)
- Sales Workers (-105 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-84 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-68 local workers)