Local workers - Occupations - Other Services
Within Cairns, the Other Services workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to the Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services workforce.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Cairns will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Cairns;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, Cairns in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers occupations|
|Cairns - Other Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services %||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services %||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,276||43.6||37.1||1,347||48.9||33.2||-71||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||427||14.6||0.8||301||10.9||0.5||+126||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||340||11.6||15.6||343||12.5||19.6||-3||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||41||1.4||13.3||54||2.0||13.3||-13||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||21||0.7||3.2||16||0.6||2.1||+5||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the Other Services workforce in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,276 local workers or 43.6%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (427 local workers or 14.6%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (340 local workers or 11.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,043 people in total or 69.7% of the Other Services local workers .
In comparison, the Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services workforce within Cairns employed 37.1% as Technicians and Trades Workers; 0.8% as Community and Personal Service Workers; and 15.6% as Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the Other Services workforce in Cairns and the Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services workforce were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (14.6% compared to 0.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (43.6% compared to 37.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (9.7% compared to 4.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (1.4% compared to 13.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the Other Services in Cairns workforce between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+126 local workers)
- Professionals (+111 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-71 local workers)
- Managers (+25 local workers)