In Cairns, 19.8% of workers were Professionals, compared to 23.8% in Accommodation and Food Services.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Cairns will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Cairns;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Cairns - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||9,175||13.6||14.0||9,230||14.4||13.8||-55|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||9,417||14.0||23.8||7,988||12.4||23.3||+1,429|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||9,423||14.0||6.9||9,849||15.3||7.8||-426|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,394||5.0||1.6||3,379||5.3||1.4||+15|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,101||1.6||0.6||1,154||1.8||1.0||-53|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (13,376 local workers or 19.8%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (9,423 local workers or 14.0%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (9,417 local workers or 14.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 32,216 people in total or 47.7% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, the Accommodation and Food Services workforce in Cairns employed 1.4% as Professionals; 6.9% as Clerical and Administrative Workers and 23.8% as Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Cairns and Accommodation and Food Services were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (19.8% compared to 1.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (9.4% compared to 23.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (14.0% compared to 23.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (14.0% compared to 6.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,495 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,429 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-426 local workers)
- Labourers (+369 local workers)