In Cairns, 19.8% of workers were Professionals, compared to 50.8% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Cairns will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Cairns;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Cairns - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||Number||%||Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||9,175||13.6||12.7||9,230||14.4||11.9||-55|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||9,417||14.0||0.5||7,988||12.4||0.4||+1,429|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||9,423||14.0||25.3||9,849||15.3||28.7||-426|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,394||5.0||0.3||3,379||5.3||0.4||+15|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,101||1.6||0.4||1,154||1.8||0.7||-53|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (13,376 local workers or 19.8%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (9,423 local workers or 14.0%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (9,417 local workers or 14.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 32,216 people in total or 47.7% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce in Cairns employed 50.8% as Professionals; 25.3% as Clerical and Administrative Workers and 0.5% as Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Cairns and Professional, Scientific and Technical Services were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (19.8% compared to 50.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (14.0% compared to 0.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (14.0% compared to 25.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (11.3% compared to 1.7%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,495 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,429 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-426 local workers)
- Labourers (+369 local workers)