Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Cairns will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Cairns;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Cairns - Manufacturing||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,088||41.5||27.8||1,384||41.3||29.4||-296|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||48||1.8||1.0||58||1.7||0.7||-10|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||265||10.1||10.1||388||11.6||10.6||-123|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||303||11.5||13.6||380||11.3||13.8||-77|
|Inadequately described or not stated||21||0.8||1.0||50||1.5||1.5||-29|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the Manufacturing workforce in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,088 local workers or 41.5%)
- Managers (340 local workers or 13.0%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (303 local workers or 11.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,731 people in total or 65.9% of the Manufacturing local workers.
In comparison, Queensland employed 27.8% as Technicians and Trades Workers; 14.0% as Managers and 13.6% as Machinery Operators And Drivers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the Manufacturing workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers(Manufacturing) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (41.5% compared to 27.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers(Manufacturing) employed as Labourers (9.0% compared to 20.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers(Manufacturing) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (11.5% compared to 13.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers(Manufacturing) employed as Professionals (5.3% compared to 6.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the Manufacturing workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-296 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-123 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-77 local workers)
- Sales Workers (-76 local workers)