Local workers - Occupations - Accommodation and Food Services
In Cairns (Accommodation and Food Services), 23.8% of workers were Community and Personal Service Workers, compared to 27.6% in Queensland.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Cairns will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Cairns;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Cairns - Accommodation and Food Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||995||14.0||12.6||900||13.8||12.7||+95|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,695||23.8||27.6||1,525||23.3||26.7||+170|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||492||6.9||4.5||511||7.8||5.3||-19|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||116||1.6||2.0||90||1.4||1.5||+26|
|Inadequately described or not stated||46||0.6||0.6||66||1.0||0.9||-20|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the Accommodation and Food Services workforce in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (1,695 local workers or 23.8%)
- Labourers (1,662 local workers or 23.3%)
- Managers (1,230 local workers or 17.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 4,587 people in total or 64.3% of the Accommodation and Food Services local workers.
In comparison, Queensland employed 27.6% as Community and Personal Service Workers; 21.1% as Labourers and 16.8% as Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the Accommodation and Food Services workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers(Accommodation and Food Services) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (23.8% compared to 27.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers(Accommodation and Food Services) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (6.9% compared to 4.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers(Accommodation and Food Services) employed as Sales Workers (11.1% compared to 13.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers(Accommodation and Food Services) employed as Labourers (23.3% compared to 21.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the Accommodation and Food Services workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+170 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+143 local workers)
- Managers (+115 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+95 local workers)