Local workers - Occupations - Other Services
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Cairns will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Cairns;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Cairns - Other Services||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,276||43.6||44.5||1,347||48.9||47.4||-71|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||427||14.6||15.3||301||10.9||12.4||+126|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||340||11.6||10.9||343||12.5||11.9||-3|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||41||1.4||1.6||54||2.0||1.9||-13|
|Inadequately described or not stated||21||0.7||0.7||16||0.6||0.8||+5|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the Other Services workforce in Cairns in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,276 local workers or 43.6%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (427 local workers or 14.6%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (340 local workers or 11.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,043 people in total or 69.7% of the Other Services local workers.
In comparison, Queensland employed 44.5% as Technicians and Trades Workers; 15.3% as Community and Personal Service Workers and 10.9% as Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the Other Services workforce in Cairns and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers(Other Services) employed as Professionals (9.7% compared to 8.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers(Other Services) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (43.6% compared to 44.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers(Other Services) employed as Managers (7.1% compared to 7.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers(Other Services) employed as Labourers (9.7% compared to 8.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the Other Services workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+126 local workers)
- Professionals (+111 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-71 local workers)
- Managers (+25 local workers)