Local workers - Method of travel to work - All industries
Within Cairns, there is a similar proportion of local All industries workers using public transport to get to work than the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce.
This data reveals the main modes of transport used by local workers in a particular industry to get to work. Workforce transport data for Cairns is very useful in transport planning as it informs decision-makers about the effectiveness and availability of public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work (For instance, industries located near railway stations are likely to have higher public transport use than those located away from main public transport routes);
- The number of motor vehicles available from within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Workers place of residence and resident place of work for a clearer picture of where people come from to work in Cairns, and Employment locations for the Destination Zones they work in and how they arrive there.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers method of travel to work|
|Cairns - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Professional, Scientific and Technical Services%||Number||%||Professional, Scientific and Technical Services%||2011 - 2016|
|Car, as driver||46,855||69.5||67.3||42,321||65.8||67.4||+4,534|
|Car, as passenger||4,106||6.1||3.8||4,393||6.8||4.8||-287|
|Other - multiple methods||1,022||1.5||1.0||953||1.5||1.6||+69|
|Worked at home||2,754||4.1||16.2||2,689||4.2||13.0||+65|
|Did not go to work||6,070||9.0||5.4||6,386||9.9||6.0||-316|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2016, there were 1,210 people who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in Cairns, compared with 51,988 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work in Cairns in 2016 compared to the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce within Cairns shows that 1.8% used public transport, while 77.1% used a private vehicle, compared with 1.0% and 71.7% respectively in the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce within Cairns.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the workforce in Cairns and the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked at home (4.1% compared to 16.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who did not go to work (9.0% compared to 5.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who travelled by car, as passenger (6.1% compared to 3.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who travelled by car, as driver (69.5% compared to 67.3%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+4,534 local workers)
- Did not go to work (-316 local workers)
- Car, as passenger (-287 local workers)
- Truck (-185 local workers)