Within Cairns, there is a lower proportion of local Retail Trade workers using public transport to get to work than the Queensland workforce.
This data reveals the main modes of transport used by local workers in a particular industry to get to work. Workforce transport data for Cairns is very useful in transport planning as it informs decision-makers about the effectiveness and availability of public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work (For instance, industries located near railway stations are likely to have higher public transport use than those located away from main public transport routes);
- The number of motor vehicles available from within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Workers place of residence and resident place of work for a clearer picture of where people come from to work in Cairns, and Employment locations for the Destination Zones they work in and how they arrive there.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers method of travel to work|
|Cairns - Retail Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|Car, as driver||5,005||65.7||64.8||4,904||60.7||60.2||+101|
|Car, as passenger||720||9.5||7.5||856||10.6||8.9||-136|
|Other - multiple methods||62||0.8||0.8||64||0.8||0.8||-2|
|Worked at home||135||1.8||2.2||150||1.9||2.3||-15|
|Did not go to work||1,000||13.1||14.0||1,129||14.0||15.2||-129|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2016, there were 223 people in Retail Trade who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in Cairns, compared with 5,803 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the Retail Trade workforce in Cairns in 2016 compared to the Queensland workforce within Cairns shows that 2.9% used public transport, while 76.2% used a private vehicle, compared with 4.9% and 73.3% respectively in Queensland.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the Retail Trade workforce in Cairns and the Queensland workforce were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who travelled by car, as passenger (9.5% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by train (0% compared to 1.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who travelled by car, as driver (65.7% compared to 64.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who did not go to work (13.1% compared to 14.0%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the Retail Trade workforce in Cairns between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as passenger (-136 local workers)
- Did not go to work (-129 local workers)
- Car, as driver (+101 local workers)
- Bus (-94 local workers)