Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Town of Cambridge - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||5,944||45.3||27.4||4,272||39.0||23.2||+1,672|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||1,875||14.3||10.8||1,526||13.9||9.8||+349|
|Certificate I and II Level||111||0.8||1.4||113||1.0||1.4||-2|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,378||10.5||21.9||1,262||11.5||21.1||+116|
|Certificate Level, nfd||288||2.2||2.1||213||1.9||1.7||+75|
|Inadequately described or not stated||352||2.7||2.8||444||4.1||4.0||-92|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Town of Cambridge in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 73.2% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 24.1% had no qualifications, compared with 63.6% and 33.6% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the Town of Cambridge and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (45.3% compared to 27.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (10.5% compared to 21.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (24.1% compared to 33.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (14.3% compared to 10.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the Town of Cambridge between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+1,672 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+349 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+116 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+75 local workers)