Construction employs more of Camden Council area's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Camden Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Camden Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Camden Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Camden Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||379||0.9||2.1||301||1.0||2.1||+78|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||444||1.1||0.9||373||1.2||1.0||+71|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,075||5.2||7.1||1,378||4.6||6.3||+697|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,681||6.7||4.7||2,046||6.8||4.6||+635|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||489||1.2||2.2||406||1.4||2.2||+83|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,490||3.7||4.9||1,085||3.6||4.8||+405|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||765||1.9||1.8||528||1.8||1.5||+237|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,022||5.1||8.1||1,433||4.8||7.4||+589|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,142||2.9||3.5||802||2.7||3.1||+340|
|Public Administration and Safety||2,773||6.9||6.0||1,914||6.4||5.8||+859|
|Education and Training||3,714||9.3||8.4||2,657||8.9||7.5||+1,057|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||4,135||10.3||12.5||2,812||9.4||10.9||+1,323|
|Arts and Recreation Services||540||1.3||1.5||393||1.3||1.4||+147|
|Industry not classified||1,908||4.8||4.7||630||2.1||2.3||+1,278|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Camden Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Construction (4,904 people or 12.3%)
- Retail Trade (4,252 people or 10.6%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (4,135 people or 10.3%)
In combination these three industries employed 13,291 people in total or 33.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 8.4% in Construction; 9.7% in Retail Trade and 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Camden Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (12.3% compared to 8.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (5.1% compared to 8.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (10.3% compared to 12.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (6.7% compared to 4.7%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Camden Council area were for those employed in:
- Construction (+2,057 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,323 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+1,278 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (+1,097 resident workforce)