City of Canterbury Bankstown
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce in City of Canterbury Bankstown than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among City of Canterbury Bankstown's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in City of Canterbury Bankstown or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of City of Canterbury Bankstown, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Canterbury Bankstown - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||2,703||2.0||2.1||2,248||1.8||2.0||+455|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||13,201||9.6||10.4||12,903||10.4||10.8||+298|
|Architecture and Building||5,500||4.0||4.4||4,609||3.7||4.1||+891|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||835||0.6||1.5||740||0.6||1.5||+95|
|Management and Commerce||23,847||17.3||17.1||19,205||15.4||15.5||+4,642|
|Society and Culture||10,530||7.6||8.8||7,854||6.3||7.6||+2,676|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||4,499||3.3||3.3||4,098||3.3||3.2||+401|
|Mixed Field Programmes||232||0.2||0.1||110||0.1||0.1||+122|
|Not stated or inadequately described||3,999||2.9||2.7||5,461||4.4||3.5||-1,462|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in City of Canterbury Bankstown shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (23,847 people or 17.3%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (13,201 people or 9.6%)
- Society and Culture (10,530 people or 7.6%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 47,578 people in total or 34.4% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 17.1% in Management and Commerce; 10.4% in Engineering and Related Technologies and 8.8% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of City of Canterbury Bankstown and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (5.2% compared to 7.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Society and Culture (7.6% compared to 8.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Information Technology (3.9% compared to 3.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (0.6% compared to 1.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in City of Canterbury Bankstown increased by 13,666 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in City of Canterbury Bankstown was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+4,642 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+2,676 resident workers)
- Health (+1,469 resident workers)
- Not stated or inadequately described (-1,462 resident workers)