39.6% of the resident workers (All industries) in City of Canterbury Bankstown work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Canterbury Bankstown's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Canterbury Bankstown depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Canterbury Bankstown - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||14,850||10.7||10.8||12,052||9.7||10.4||+2,798|
|16 hours - 24 hours||15,613||11.3||10.4||12,544||10.1||9.7||+3,069|
|25 hours - 34 hours||14,378||10.4||10.5||12,153||9.8||9.8||+2,225|
|35 hours - 39 hours||30,892||22.4||19.1||27,296||21.9||18.2||+3,596|
|41 hours - 48 hours||10,793||7.8||9.1||10,665||8.6||10.0||+128|
|49 hours or more||14,724||10.7||14.9||14,661||11.8||16.4||+63|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by City of Canterbury Bankstown's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.1% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 61.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of City of Canterbury Bankstown and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (22.4% compared to 19.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (21.1% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (7.8% compared to 9.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (10.7% compared to 14.9%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in City of Canterbury Bankstown increased by 6426 people (8.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in City of Canterbury Bankstown between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+3,596 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+3,069 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+2,798 persons)
- 40 hours (+2,639 persons)