Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Cardinia Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Cardinia Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Cardinia Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Cardinia Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||647||1.4||2.4||408||1.1||2.2||+239|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||5,550||12.3||10.1||4,599||12.7||10.4||+951|
|Architecture and Building||2,884||6.4||4.6||2,055||5.7||4.2||+829|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||887||2.0||1.6||711||2.0||1.5||+176|
|Management and Commerce||5,144||11.4||15.0||3,439||9.5||13.3||+1,705|
|Society and Culture||3,565||7.9||8.9||2,302||6.4||7.7||+1,263|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,834||4.1||3.6||1,366||3.8||3.5||+468|
|Mixed Field Programmes||23||0.1||0.1||22||0.1||0.0||+1|
|Not stated or inadequately described||1,291||2.9||2.9||1,305||3.6||3.8||-14|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Cardinia Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (5,550 people or 12.3%)
- Management and Commerce (5,144 people or 11.4%)
- Society and Culture (3,565 people or 7.9%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 14,259 people in total or 31.7% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 10.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 15.0% in Management and Commerce and 8.9% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Cardinia Shire and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (11.4% compared to 15.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (12.3% compared to 10.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Architecture and Building (6.4% compared to 4.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Creative Arts (1.8% compared to 3.2%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Cardinia Shire increased by 8,699 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Cardinia Shire was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+1,705 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+1,263 resident workers)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+951 resident workers)
- Health (+850 resident workers)