Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) qualified in Management and Commerce in Cardinia Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Cardinia Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Cardinia Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Cardinia Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||5||0.7||1.2||3||0.6||1.1||+2||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||48||7.0||6.1||44||9.1||6.4||+4||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||16||2.3||3.2||12||2.5||2.6||+4||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||12||1.7||0.9||3||0.6||0.9||+9||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||252||36.6||38.8||156||32.1||34.8||+96||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||41||6.0||5.9||12||2.5||4.9||+29||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||23||3.3||3.2||15||3.1||2.8||+8||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0.0||0.1||0||0.0||0.0||0||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||16||2.3||2.5||9||1.9||3.2||+7||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Cardinia Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (252 people or 36.6%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (48 people or 7.0%)
- Society and Culture (41 people or 6.0%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 341 people in total or 49.5% of the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services).
In comparison, Victoria employed 38.8% in Management and Commerce; 6.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 5.9% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) of Cardinia Shire and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) qualified in Management and Commerce (36.6% compared to 38.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) qualified in Creative Arts (2.0% compared to 3.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) qualified in Information Technology (1.2% compared to 2.2%)
The number of resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) in Cardinia Shire increased by 203 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) between 2011 and 2016 in Cardinia Shire was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+96 people)