Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more male resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in Cardinia Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Cardinia Shire's male resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Cardinia Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Cardinia Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Cardinia Shire - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||280||1.2||2.2||199||1.0||2.1||+81||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||5,319||22.2||17.8||4,414||22.4||18.2||+905||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||2,764||11.5||7.9||1,981||10.0||7.1||+783||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||613||2.6||2.2||529||2.7||2.1||+84||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||2,026||8.4||13.3||1,276||6.5||11.6||+750||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||876||3.7||5.4||536||2.7||4.7||+340||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||674||2.8||2.8||521||2.6||2.7||+153||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||16||0.1||0.1||12||0.1||0.1||+4||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||805||3.4||3.1||785||4.0||4.0||+20||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Cardinia Shire shows that the three largest fields the male resident workers were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (5,319 people or 22.2%)
- Architecture and Building (2,764 people or 11.5%)
- Management and Commerce (2,026 people or 8.4%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 10,109 people in total or 42.1% of the male resident workers .
In comparison, Victoria employed 17.8% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 7.9% in Architecture and Building; and 13.3% in Management and Commerce.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the male resident workers of Cardinia Shire and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (22.2% compared to 17.8%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workers qualified in Architecture and Building (11.5% compared to 7.9%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (8.4% compared to 13.3%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers qualified in Information Technology (2.8% compared to 4.7%)
The number of male resident workers in Cardinia Shire increased by 4,281 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the male resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Cardinia Shire were for those qualified in:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+905 males)
- Architecture and Building (+783 males)
- Management and Commerce (+750 males)
- Society and Culture (+340 males)