There are more female resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce in Cardinia Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Cardinia Shire's female resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Cardinia Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Cardinia Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Female resident workers field of qualification|
|Cardinia Shire - Females||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||363||1.7||2.6||205||1.2||2.3||+158|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||228||1.1||1.6||181||1.1||1.4||+47|
|Architecture and Building||120||0.6||0.9||74||0.4||0.8||+46|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||271||1.3||0.9||184||1.1||0.8||+87|
|Management and Commerce||3,122||14.9||16.9||2,166||13.1||15.2||+956|
|Society and Culture||2,681||12.8||12.8||1,770||10.7||11.1||+911|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,162||5.5||4.5||841||5.1||4.3||+321|
|Mixed Field Programmes||5||0.0||0.1||11||0.1||0.0||-6|
|Not stated or inadequately described||483||2.3||2.7||524||3.2||3.5||-41|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Cardinia Shire shows that the three largest fields the female resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (3,122 people or 14.9%)
- Society and Culture (2,681 people or 12.8%)
- Health (2,323 people or 11.1%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 8,126 people in total or 38.8% of the female resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 16.9% in Management and Commerce; 12.8% in Society and Culture and 12.0% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the female resident workers () of Cardinia Shire and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of female resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (14.9% compared to 16.9%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workers (All industries) qualified in Creative Arts (2.1% compared to 3.7%)
- A larger percentage of female resident workers (All industries) qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (5.5% compared to 4.5%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (11.1% compared to 12.0%)
The number of female resident workers (All industries) in Cardinia Shire increased by 4,413 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the female resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Cardinia Shire was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+956 female resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+911 female resident workers)
- Health (+690 female resident workers)
- Education (+673 female resident workers)