Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more female resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in Cardinia Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Cardinia Shire's female resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Cardinia Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Cardinia Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Cardinia Shire - Females||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Retail Trade%||Number||%||Retail Trade%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||363||1.7||0.9||205||1.2||0.7||+158||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||228||1.1||1.0||181||1.1||0.9||+47||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||120||0.6||0.6||74||0.4||0.4||+46||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||271||1.3||1.2||184||1.1||1.1||+87||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||3,122||14.9||14.9||2,166||13.1||12.4||+956||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||2,681||12.8||6.9||1,770||10.7||4.0||+911||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,162||5.5||6.3||841||5.1||5.5||+321||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||5||0.0||0.1||11||0.1||0.0||-6||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||483||2.3||2.2||524||3.2||3.2||-41||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Cardinia Shire shows that the three largest fields the female resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (3,122 people or 14.9%)
- Society and Culture (2,681 people or 12.8%)
- Health (2,323 people or 11.1%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 8,126 people in total or 38.8% of the female resident workers .
In comparison, Retail Trade employed 14.9% in Management and Commerce; 6.9% in Society and Culture; and 4.0% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the female resident workers of Cardinia Shire and Retail Trade were:
- A larger percentage of female resident workers qualified in Education (9.2% compared to 1.8%)
- A larger percentage of female resident workers qualified in Health (11.1% compared to 4.0%)
- A larger percentage of female resident workers qualified in Society and Culture (12.8% compared to 6.9%)
The number of female resident workers in Cardinia Shire increased by 4,413 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the female resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Cardinia Shire were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+956 females)
- Society and Culture (+911 females)
- Health (+690 females)
- Education (+673 females)