Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cardinia Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cardinia Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cardinia Shire - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,358||10.8||11.7||5,085||11.3||12.0||+1,273|
|16 hours - 24 hours||5,851||10.0||10.8||4,452||9.9||10.5||+1,399|
|25 hours - 34 hours||6,727||11.5||11.6||4,980||11.1||11.2||+1,747|
|35 hours - 39 hours||13,060||22.2||20.8||8,599||19.1||18.7||+4,461|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,054||8.6||8.0||4,373||9.7||9.2||+681|
|49 hours or more||6,529||11.1||11.1||6,412||14.3||13.7||+117|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Cardinia Shire's resident workers in 2021 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.4% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 39.1% and 59.2% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Cardinia Shire and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.8% compared to 11.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (10.0% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (22.2% compared to 20.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.6% compared to 8.0%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cardinia Shire increased by 7668 people (27.4%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Cardinia Shire between2016 and 2021 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+4,461 persons)
- 40 hours (+2,409 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,747 persons)
- None (+1,517 persons)