Resident workers - Hours worked
43.2% of the resident workers in Cardinia Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 48.8% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cardinia Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cardinia Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services%||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||5,085||11.3||10.3||4,004||11.0||8.7||+1,081||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||4,452||9.9||7.0||3,233||8.9||8.1||+1,219||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||4,980||11.1||7.6||3,671||10.1||4.8||+1,309||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||8,599||19.1||23.5||6,237||17.2||17.1||+2,362||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||4,373||9.7||11.9||3,837||10.6||11.5||+536||22007|
|49 hours or more||6,412||14.3||18.1||6,155||17.0||26.2||+257||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Cardinia Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.6% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 27.3% and 72.3% respectively for Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Cardinia Shire and Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (11.1% compared to 7.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (9.9% compared to 7.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (19.1% compared to 23.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.3% compared to 18.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cardinia Shire increased by 4,738 people (20.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,362 people)
- 40 hours (+1,583 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,309 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,219 people)