43.2% of the resident workers (All industries) in Cardinia Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 27.0% in Arts and Recreation Services.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cardinia Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cardinia Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cardinia Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Arts and Recreation Services%||Number||%||Arts and Recreation Services%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||5,085||11.3||27.6||4,004||11.0||24.8||+1,081|
|16 hours - 24 hours||4,452||9.9||13.5||3,233||8.9||11.5||+1,219|
|25 hours - 34 hours||4,980||11.1||12.8||3,671||10.1||10.6||+1,309|
|35 hours - 39 hours||8,599||19.1||13.9||6,237||17.2||15.8||+2,362|
|41 hours - 48 hours||4,373||9.7||7.2||3,837||10.6||5.2||+536|
|49 hours or more||6,412||14.3||9.3||6,155||17.0||11.5||+257|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Cardinia Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to Arts and Recreation Services shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.6% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 57.9% and 41.0% respectively for Arts and Recreation Services.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Cardinia Shire and the Arts and Recreation Services workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.3% compared to 27.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (19.1% compared to 13.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (19.2% compared to 10.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.3% compared to 9.3%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cardinia Shire increased by 4738 people (20.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,362 persons)
- 40 hours (+1,583 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,309 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,219 persons)