Resident workers - Hours worked
54.7% of the resident workers (Manufacturing) in Cardinia Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 51.9% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cardinia Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cardinia Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||239||5.2||5.7||203||4.1||4.9||+36||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||234||5.1||5.6||211||4.2||5.0||+23||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||307||6.7||6.6||316||6.4||5.9||-9||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,158||25.2||27.0||1,166||23.5||25.5||-8||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||668||14.5||13.3||734||14.8||13.8||-66||22007|
|49 hours or more||729||15.9||14.4||937||18.9||15.7||-208||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Cardinia Shire's resident workers (Manufacturing) in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 19.1% of the resident workers (Manufacturing) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 79.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 20.3% and 78.8% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Manufacturing) of Cardinia Shire and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) worked 49 hours or more (15.9% compared to 14.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) worked 41 hours - 48 hours (14.5% compared to 13.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (25.2% compared to 27.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Manufacturing) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cardinia Shire decreased by 341 people (8.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Manufacturing) in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-208 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-66 people)
- 40 hours (-59 people)
- None (-49 people)