Resident workers - Hours worked
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cardinia Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cardinia Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cardinia Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||5,085||11.3||12.0||4,004||11.0||11.4||+1,081|
|16 hours - 24 hours||4,452||9.9||10.5||3,233||8.9||9.7||+1,219|
|25 hours - 34 hours||4,980||11.1||11.2||3,671||10.1||10.1||+1,309|
|35 hours - 39 hours||8,599||19.1||18.7||6,237||17.2||17.6||+2,362|
|41 hours - 48 hours||4,373||9.7||9.2||3,837||10.6||10.2||+536|
|49 hours or more||6,412||14.3||13.7||6,155||17.0||15.2||+257|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Cardinia Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.6% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Cardinia Shire and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.3% compared to 12.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (9.9% compared to 10.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.7% compared to 9.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.3% compared to 13.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cardinia Shire increased by 4738 people (20.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,362 persons)
- 40 hours (+1,583 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,309 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,219 persons)