Construction employs more of Cardinia Shire's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Cardinia Shire residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Cardinia Shire, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Cardinia Shire are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Cardinia Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,279||2.8||2.2||1,206||3.2||2.1||+73|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||549||1.2||1.1||447||1.2||1.0||+102|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,258||5.0||6.6||1,586||4.2||5.8||+672|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,283||5.1||4.8||1,813||4.8||4.4||+470|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||553||1.2||1.9||460||1.2||1.9||+93|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,008||2.2||3.9||788||2.1||3.9||+220|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||692||1.5||1.6||485||1.3||1.3||+207|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,119||4.7||7.9||1,652||4.3||7.3||+467|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,436||3.2||3.4||1,018||2.7||3.1||+418|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,796||4.0||5.3||1,439||3.8||5.0||+357|
|Education and Training||3,426||7.6||8.6||2,562||6.7||7.6||+864|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||4,971||11.1||12.5||3,439||9.0||10.9||+1,532|
|Arts and Recreation Services||707||1.6||1.9||544||1.4||1.6||+163|
|Industry not classified||2,384||5.3||4.7||841||2.2||2.3||+1,543|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Cardinia Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Construction (6,078 people or 13.5%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (4,971 people or 11.1%)
- Retail Trade (4,934 people or 11.0%)
In combination these three industries employed 15,983 people in total or 35.6% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Victoria employed 8.3% in Construction; 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 10.2% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Cardinia Shire and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (13.5% compared to 8.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.7% compared to 7.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (10.2% compared to 7.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (2.2% compared to 3.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Cardinia Shire were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+1,543 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,532 resident workforce)
- Construction (+1,167 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+864 resident workforce)